Labels

Thursday 5 May 2011

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

During the process of conducting research into areas such as audience research, editing methods, mise-en-scene, costume design, music, original ideas and location research, the internet was my main source of gathering information.  



The HD camera I used to shoot my two minute opening was easy to use and produced high quality, high definition footage. Having never used a video camera before besides the odd family home video, getting to grasp with keeping the camera steady and using the tripod when possible was something I needed to learn in order to make sure my piece didn't look amateurish and unprofessional. Learning about camera angles, and therefore how to position the camera, possibly using the zoom feature on the camera was another thing that through trial and error I quickly picked up on what did and didn't look good. This enabled me to try and attempt different and maybe more adventurous shots. 



When it came to editing the software I used to edit my piece was iMovie. Having never edited before I struggled at first to use the software but having practised doing my preliminary task I found using it when editing Strange World was easy and useful. With iMovie I could cut and trim clips to the length I wanted them, add titles, create various transitions, import music, and piece little elements together to design my final cut opening two minutes. Although iMovie was easy to use and quick to pick up which was great for initial use, as I developed my skills and wanted to do more, I found extra professional tools were lacking and perhaps should have used another editing software.


To complete my answer to one of my other evaluation questions I put freeze frames into certain frames and then added audio clips of myself talking about and evaluating that particular shot in the opening, and saying how it used, developed or challenged forms and conventions of real media products. To record myself speaking I used a recording application on my phone as it was clear and easy to use, then uploaded the recordings from my phone onto my home computer, which I then converted to a format that was compatible with iMovie, and added the short recordings in over the top of my film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment